Granted yearly to one undergraduate Spanish major or minor who is a member of Sigma Delta Pi and who has demonstrated outstanding achievement in all upper-division courses completed and exemplary involvement in extra-curricular activities as related to Spanish. This is a joint award of Sigma Delta Pi and the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese.
Texas Tech University
Monmouth University (NJ)
Indiana University Bloomington
(click here for recorded awards ceremony, 6/2/2020)
College of Charleston
University of the South
Cayla M. Hamilton
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Truman State University
Lidia I. Martínez
Johanna Cajina Castillo
The Catholic University of America
Azusa Pacific University
Taylor F. Jones
University of South Carolina
Hannah C. Mistovich
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Juan Esteban Villegas
Montclair State University
- Nominee must be a full-time undergraduate student;
- Nominee must have completed at least six (6) upper-division courses total in Spanish language, literature and culture; at least half of ALL these upper-division courses completed must have earned grades (not “Pass/Fail”).
- Nominee must be a member of Sigma Delta Pi;
- Nominator must be a member of the AATSP;
- The completed Nomination Form and all specified supporting materials are due via e-mail by April 15. Incomplete nominations are disqualified.
Selection of the award is made by a committee comprising leaders from both Sigma Delta Pi and the AATSP with Sigma Delta Pi’s Executive Director serving as chair.
Nominees will be selected upon the basis of academic achievement in all upper-division courses completed and extra-curricular involvement as related to Spanish.
Sigma Delta Pi provides the Mario Vargas Llosa Award recipient with the most recent issue of the María Moliner Diccionario de uso del español and one of Vargas Llosa’s novels.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: April 15.