Sigma Delta Pi (SDP) / Sociedad Honoraria de la Lengua Española (SHLE) and the AATSP’s Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica (SHH) are pleased to announce their chapter grant program. A SDP or SHLE chapter and a SHH chapter, both of active status, may apply for a joint grant of up to $300 to support a collaborative project that complements the missions of SDP, SHLE and the SHH . This grant program aims to promote collaboration between chapters of SDP/SHLE and the SHH to help raise the visibility of Spanish honor societies in our communities and to incentivize high school honor society members to continue their Spanish education at the collegiate level.
RULES GOVERNING THE CHAPTER PROJECT GRANT COMPETITION
To be eligible to receive a collaborative SDP/SHLE-SHH grant, both chapters must be of active status as defined by their respective organizations’ national by-laws.
OFFICIAL APPLICATION FORM
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
One of the Chapter Advisers, either from SDP/SHLE or the SHH, must e-mail the complete application and supporting materials to email@example.com. The proposal must include a detailed description of the proposed collaborative project and a budget. Judges will consider the quality of the proposal and the specificity of the budget, in addition to the merit of the proposed activity. Applications are accepted all year-long on a rolling basis.
A judging committee comprised of members of both SDP and the SHH will review the applications independently with a given set of criteria and will select the grant recipients who will be announced within 2-3 weeks of the receipt of the application. Selections will be final. SDP and the SHH reserve the right to award the number of grants they deem appropriate while considering application merit and available funding. The judging committee will consider the quality of the proposal and the specificity of the budget. The promise of active participation by student members from both chapters in the proposed project as well as the project’s creativity as related to SDP’s, SHLE’s and the SHH’s missions will receive special consideration.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF AWARDS
All applicants will be notified no later than 2-3 weeks after receipt of the application in question.
USE OF GRANTS
The SDP/SHLE-SHH grants MUST be used solely for the purposes stated in the chapters’ original application. Permission will not be granted to alter the originally proposed chapter project plan. These project grants are non-transferable. Grant monies will be sent to each awardee no later than two weeks before the planned project that has been approved.
ADDITIONAL RULES AND GUIDELINES
- SDP or SHLE and SHH chapters must propose only one activity/project that includes the direct collaboration of at least one chapter of SDP or SHLE and one chapter of SHH, but more chapters are welcome to collaborate and be part of the proposal.
- WHAT IS NOT FUNDED: Rental of campus meeting rooms, campus publicity, honoraria or any other payments to your own faculty or to honor society officers or council members, excessive travel costs for outside speakers, excessive decorations such as flowers, event receptions (e.g., food and refreshments), the purchase of Sigma Delta Pi and/or SHH merchandise, or any activity that presents obvious danger to students or to others. Students should seek support for their projects in the form of meeting space at their local university/college and/or high school, expect local faculty to participate without payment, and make use of campus publications to advertise their projects. The judging committee encourages proposals that plan to obtain additional or matching funding from other sources.
- LIABILITY: If a proposed activity involves student travel, the proposal must affirm that the travel will be in accordance with university and high school policies and that due diligence will be exercised with respect to the safety of the students. THE NATIONAL OFFICES OF SIGMA DELTA PI AND THE SHH DO NOT PROVIDE LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR CHAPTERS OR STUDENT MEMBERS PARTICIPATING IN ACTIVITIES FUNDED BY THESE GRANTS, OR IN ANY OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES.
- A project may be continued after the initial undertaking, but this grant is only to be used to support the inaugural event. Proposals for subsequent events of the same nature will not be considered.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF WINNERS
Each grant recipient must send via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org a “SDP-SHH Grant Report” that includes:
- Accounting of the Expenditure of Funds: A fully itemized account of how your chapters actually expended grant monies, including copies of all relevant receipts for national auditing purposes.
- Copy of the Program from the Event: A copy of the program from your event or other concrete evidence that the event took place as scheduled.
- A Check Refunding Unused Portion of the Grant: If grant monies remain after the specific grant activity is finished, the balance must be returned (check made out to “Sigma Delta Pi”). There is no penalty for unused funds. Checks should be sent via regular mail to the Executive Director of Sigma Delta Pi.
- Photograph of Event and Essay: A project-related photograph (.jpg or .gif file) and an essay (Word format) of at least 200 words in Spanish reporting in detail on the completed project. The photo and report will be published in the subsequent issue of Sigma Delta Pi’s annual journal, Entre Nosotros.
Failure to submit the complete “SDP-SHH Grant Report” will result in the chapters’ ineligibility for any future grants from this particular program.
Awardees unable to undertake the project made possible by the grant must inform the EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF SIGMA DELTA PI immediately and return any funding already received.
The Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica, a partner of Sigma Delta Pi / SHLE, funds 50% of each chapter grant awarded.