National Charter Month commemorates undergraduate junior Ruth Barnes’ founding of Sigma Delta Pi on November 14, 1919 at the University of California, Berkeley. Highlight your chapter and its activities during the month of November. This is also a wonderful opportunity to locate and display your chapter’s charter!
How can your chapter commemorate?:
1) Plan an initiation ceremony in November!!! An induction of new members can be held any time of the year, and many chapters hold multiple initiations annually (once received, all orders processed within 24 hours).
2) Participate in our 3rd annual Facebook Birthday Cake Picture Competition to celebrate National Charter Month and Sigma Delta Pi’s 96th birthday.
- a) During the month of November, chapters are invited to post a picture of their unique Sigma Delta Pi b-day cakes at our FB page: facebook.com/sigmadeltapi.
- b) The pictured cake must include a reference, etched in icing on the cake, to Sigma Delta Pi’s 96th b-day.
- c) It must be an actual cake that displays the Sigma Delta Pi logo.
- d) for the accompanying “description,” include the name of the originating chapter and institution. For example: “Gamma Gamma, Marquette University.”
The winning picture will be featured during the entire month of December at Sigma Delta Pi’s FB page, and the winning chapter will receive an award certificate. Cakes will be judged on artistic merit and originality.
3) Execute in November any chapter-sponsored activity that supports Sigma Delta Pi’s mission.