Mario Vargas Llosa Award
to be granted yearly to one undergraduate Spanish major or minor who has demonstrated outstanding achievement in all upper-division courses completed and exemplary involvement in extra-curricular activities as related to Spanish.
- Nominee must be a full-time undergraduate student;
- Nominee must have completed at least eight (8) upper-division courses (post intermediate level) total in Spanish language, literature and culture;
- Nominee must be a member of Sigma Delta Pi;
- Nominator must be a member of the AATSP;
- The completed “Nomination Form” (download here) and all specified supporting materials must be submitted via e-mail by May 1, 2018. Incomplete nominations will be disqualified.
Selection of the 2018 award will be made by a committee comprising leaders from both Sigma Delta Pi and the AATSP with Sigma Delta Pi’s Executive Director serving as chair.
Nominees will be selected upon the basis of academic achievement in all upper-division Spanish courses completed and extra-curricular involvement as related to Spanish.
Sigma Delta Pi provides the 2018 Mario Vargas Llosa Award recipient with a plaque, the most recent issue of the Maria Moliner Diccionario de uso de español and one of Vargas Llosa’s novels; the AATSP will organize and host the award venue at their 2018 conference in Salamanca, Spain. Sigma Delta Pi and the AATSP will provide a travel stipend to defer costs related to attending the conference. The awardee will be announced prior to the AATSP Conference.