Summer 2023 or academic year 2023-24
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, is pleased to announce its internship grant program for summer 2023 and academic year 2023-24.
An eligible undergraduate student who is an active member of Sigma Delta Pi may apply for one grant of up to $2000 to support participation in an internship where the primary language spoken is Spanish. Internships may be national or international. No more than two (2) total grants may be awarded in 2023 based upon the quality and depth of the school of applications.
RULES GOVERNING THE INTERNSHIP SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
To be eligible to receive one of the internship grants, an undergraduate student must (minimal requirements):
- be a Spanish major or minor.
- be an active (elected) member of Sigma Delta Pi.
- have a superior academic record.
- be enrolled on March 1, 2023 as a full-time undergraduate student.
- have earned grades in at least 12 semester or 18 quarter hours of Spanish courses.
- be nominated in writing by the chapter adviser(s) of an active chapter of the institution where the applicant is currently enrolled.
- submit the completed official application form and all required documentation by the stipulated deadline and using the online application.
(1) Graduate students.
(2) Proposals to travel to a country that is listed as either Level 3 or 4 by the U.S. Department of State (click here) may be permitted depending upon the warnings issued for the specific region/city proposed. The applicant must address these levels in their “Work Plan” of the “Research Proposal” of this application.
(3) Applicants whose transcripts do NOT reflect the national requirements for membership will be automatically disqualified.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications must be submitted online no later than MIDNIGHT Eastern Standard Time (EST), March 1, 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
The National President will appoint an advisory committee to recommend the scholarship recipients based upon an established set of criteria. Sigma Delta Pi’s Executive Committee will review the recommendations and confirm the awardees.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF AWARDS
Winners will be notified after April 1, 2023.
USE OF INTERNSHIP grantS
The grant MUST be used solely for the purposes stated in the awardee’s original application (e.g., sponsor and length of the internship, location, etc.), and for an internship that is NOT academic credit-bearing (internships framed within an academic, credit-bearing course are supported by Sigma Delta Pi’s undergraduate study abroad awards program). Permission will not be granted to alter the originally proposed internship plan. Sigma Delta Pi’s internship grants are non-transferable.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF WINNERS
Within two weeks after the completion of the period of the internship, each awardee must send a passport-type photograph (.jpg or .gif file) and an essay (Word format) of approximately 200 words in Spanish reporting on their internship. Instructions regarding format and submission are found at https://sigmadeltapi.org/chapter-resources/guidelines-for-grant-awardee-essays/. The photo and essay will be published in the subsequent issue of Sigma Delta Pi’s annual journal, Entre Nosotros. Also required is an internship checklist—provided by Sigma Delta Pi’s national office—that must be completed by the internship supervisor.
Awardees unable to complete the internship made possible by the grant must inform the national office (National@sigmadeltapi.org ).