PLEASE SAVE THE FOLLOWING FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
When planning for your upcoming chapter activities and induction ceremonies for the fall 2015 term, please note:
1) Chapter Handbook: For ideas regarding chapter activities, procedures, etc, all chapters advisers and student officers are encouraged to review this useful reference at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/Pubs/SigmaDeltaPiChapterHandbook3rdEdition.pdf (3rd edition). Remember that chapter-initiated regional projects should be coordinated closely with neighboring active chapters to ensure there are no conflicts of interest with other chapters’ activities. And NO chapter projects may be executed at the national level without authorization of Sigma Delta Pi’s national office.
2) Chapters without an induction of new members within the past three years must complete the Chapter Reactivation Petition to resume chapter activities and before planning future initiation ceremonies: http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/Pubs/SDPreactivationpetition.doc
3) PLEASE DOWNLOAD a current order form, which is always found at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/CR.Forms.html (all chapters MUST pay national dues for new initiates, both active and honorary, BEFORE your ceremony); shipping rates have changed, so please download a current order form before requesting materials.
4) Membership criteria are listed in the national by-laws: http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/National.Bylaws.html (please ensure that your local criteria matches the national, including your chapter website information)
5) Initiation ritual (both 2007 and 1974 versions) is available to active chapters by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
6) Procedures for nominating distinguished guest lecturers for either the Orden de Don Quijote or Descubridores along with details for other national awards: http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.Scholarships.Awards.Recognitions.html
7) Official ceremony paraphernalia (registry, table candle holders, altar runner), apparel and honor cords may be purchased at www.honorgrads.com
8) details for purchasing the official Sigma Delta Pi banner (to display behind the ceremony table and/or during any chapter-sponsored event) are found at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/CR.Repostero.html
9) details for purchasing the official Sigma Delta Pi medallion (purchase by chapters only, not individual members, due to limited quantities) are found at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/CR.SDPMedallion.html
10) the chapter starter kit that contains many of the items necessary for your initiation ceremonies: https://honorgrads.com/products.php?product=Chapter-Starter-Kit
11) lists of new members should be included with your chapter’s annual report in the late spring (these lists should no longer be sent separately).
12) candidates who miss your induction ceremony may be initiated in a subsequent, condensed ceremony using the abbreviated ritual found at #5 above (many advisers conduct such ceremonies in their offices).
13) Sigma Delta Pi’s national policy manual should be reviewed at:
http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/Pubs/SDP_policy_manual_adopted_8-2-2008.doc . Please note the following found on page 8:
“… chapters may not charge their members more than double the rate of national membership dues;” (no more than $50 per member with $25 per member paid to the national office)
Initiation ceremonies may be held ANYTIME during the year, and there is no limit on the number of inductions a chapter may hold. Many chapters perform two inductions each year–in the spring and fall–and some also conduct initiations during the summer. As the national office never closes, payments for membership dues/orders for membership pins and certificates may be submitted all year long. Please read carefully the official order form for the quickest methods to request materials.
14) Contact information for Sigma Delta Pi Vice-Presidents for your respective regions:
Northeast (CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT)
Marie-Lise Gazarian, St. John’s University, email@example.com
Southeast (AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV)
Maria R. Rippon, Furman University , firstname.lastname@example.org
Midwest (IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, ND, NE, OH, SD, WI)
Elizabeth Amaya, Millikin University, email@example.com
Southwest (AR, CO, KS, LA, MO, NM, OK, TX)
Comfort Pratt, Texas Tech University, firstname.lastname@example.org
West (AK, AZ, CA, HI, ID, MT, NV, OR, UT, WA, WY)
Marcela Rojas, Azusa Pacific University, email@example.com
Finally, do not hesitate to contact the Executive Director, Dr. Mark P. Del Mastro (firstname.lastname@example.org), with any questions. We also encourage you to visit this news blog often and “Like” us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/sigmadeltapi) for additional announcements and news as updated regularly.