Sigma Delta Pi’s Ongoing Centennial Celebration Through July 2020
Stay tuned for more centennial programming… Visit and bookmark: www.sigmadeltapi.org
Chapter Important Planning Information for Spring 2020 Term! PLEASE SAVE THE FOLLOWING FOR FUTURE REFERENCE (click on highlighted links for related information)
Contact information for Sigma Delta Pi Vice-Presidents for your respective regions:
Northeast (CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT)
Marie-Lise Gazarian, St. John’s University, email@example.com
Southeast (AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV)
Maria Rippon, Furman University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Midwest (IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, ND, NE, OH, SD, WI)
Heidy Cuervo Carruthers, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, email@example.com
Southwest (AR, CO, KS, LA, MO, NM, OK, TX)
Comfort Pratt, Texas Tech University, firstname.lastname@example.org
West (AK, AZ, CA, HI, ID, MT, NV, OR, UT, WA, WY)
Isabel Asensio, Weber State University, email@example.com
When planning for your chapter’s centennial activities and induction ceremonies for the spring term, please note:
- Chapter Handbook (3rd Ed.): For procedures, ideas regarding chapter activities, etc, all chapters advisers and student officers are encouraged to review. Chapter-initiated regional projects should be coordinated closely with neighboring active chapters to ensure there are no conflicts of interest with other chapters’ activities. And NO chapter projects may be executed at the national level without authorization of Sigma Delta Pi’s national office.
- New Advisers: Click here if you are planning your first induction ceremony.
- No initiation of new members in past 3 years? Then please complete the Chapter Reactivation Petition to resume chapter activities and before planning future initiation ceremonies.
- Ordering membership materials: All chapters MUST pay national dues for new initiates, both active and honorary, BEFORE your ceremony. Orders are now ONLY accepted online at https://sigmadeltapi.org/chapter-resources/order-forms-for-initiation-materials/. PLEASE DISCARD PREVIOUS PAPER/ELECTRONIC ORDER FORMS ON FILE AS THEY ARE NO LONGER VALID.
- Membership criteria are listed in the national by-laws: please ensure that your local criteria matches the national, including your chapter website information.
- Initiation ritual (both 2007 and 1974 versions): password is the year of the founding of Sigma Delta Pi.
- Orden de Don Quijote and Orden de José Martí: Procedures for nominating distinguished guest lecturers for either of the Orders along with details for other national awards found at https://sigmadeltapi.org/blog/awards/
- Official ceremony paraphernalia (registry, table candle holders, altar runner), apparel and honor cords may be purchased at www.honorgrads.com
- Click here to purchase the official Sigma Delta Pi banner to display behind the ceremony table and/or during any chapter-sponsored event
- Click here to purchase the Sigma Delta Pi medallion; purchase by chapters only, not individual members, due to limited quantities.
- Chapter starter kit that contains many of the items necessary for your initiation ceremonies: https://honorgrads.com/products.php?product=Chapter-Starter-Kit
- Click here to purchase Sigma Delta Pi’s padfolio, bistro mug and graduation medallion.
- Lists of new members are to be included with your chapter’s annual report in the late spring 2020.
- Candidates who miss your induction ceremony may be initiated in a subsequent, condensed ceremony using the abbreviated ritual found at #6 above (many advisers conduct such ceremonies in their offices).
- Sigma Delta Pi’s national policy manual should be reviewed. Please note the following policy found on page 7 under “Chapter Limitations”:
“All national projects are to be initiated and executed by the national office.”
And the following found on page 8:
“… chapters may not charge their members more than double the rate of national membership dues;” (no more than $50 per member with $25 per member paid to the national office)
- Initiation ceremonies may be held ANYTIME during the year, and there is no limit on the number of inductions a chapter may hold. Many chapters perform two inductions each year–in the spring and fall–and some also conduct initiations during the summer. As the national office never closes, payments for membership dues/orders for membership pins and certificates may be submitted all year long. Please read carefully the official order form for the quickest methods to request materials.
- Visit often our official news blog, “Like” our Facebook page, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay informed of the Society’s latest announcements and news.
Finally, do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.