DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: April 15, 2023
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society,
and the AATSP, the American Association of Spanish and Portuguese,
announce their 13th annual
Mario Vargas Llosa Award
granted yearly to one undergraduate Spanish major or minor who has demonstrated outstanding achievement in all upper-division courses completed
and exemplary involvement in extra-curricular activities as related to Spanish.
- Nominee must be a full-time undergraduate student;
- Nominee must have completed at least six (6) upper-division courses (post intermediate level) total in Spanish language, literature and culture; at least half of ALL these upper-division courses completed must have earned grades (not “Pass/Fail”)
- Nominee must be a member of Sigma Delta Pi;
- Nominator must be a member of the AATSP;
- The completed “Nomination Form” (download here) and all specified supporting materials must be submitted via e-mail by April 15, 2023. Incomplete nominations will be disqualified.
Selection of the 2023 award will be made by a committee of leaders from both Sigma Delta Pi and the AATSP, and nominees will be selected on the basis of academic achievement in all upper-division Spanish courses completed and extra-curricular involvement as related to Spanish.
Sigma Delta Pi provides the Mario Vargas Llosa Award recipient with a plaque, the most recent issue of the María Moliner Diccionario de uso del español and one of Vargas Llosa’s novels. The AATSP organizes and hosts the award venue at their annual conference in June. Sigma Delta Pi and the AATSP will provide a travel stipend to defer costs related to attending the conference in Salamanca, Spain. The awardee will be announced prior to the AATSP Conference.