Congratulations to the following recipients of Sigma Delta Pi’s 2017 undergraduate study abroad scholarships:
Kiran Chand, Hunter College, The City University of New York
Austin Krohnke, Augustana University
Jordyn Sample-Reif, University of Colorado-Denver
Sadie Stoddard, Idaho State University
Julia Strak, The College of New Jersey
March 1, 2017
Submissions for Graduate Research Grants for summer 2017 and 2017-18 academic year: Click here for details.
March 2, 2017
Deadline for early bird registration for to attend the 15th Annual Sigma Delta Pi Informative Session on April 21, 2017 at the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference. Click here to register.
Sigma Delta Pi is pleased to announce its 6th Annual Facebook Photo Contest for the 2016-17 academic year.
Rules for submissions:
1) Photos must be posted at www.facebook.com/sigmadeltapi by April 1, 2017. Photos submitted any other way will NOT be considered.
2) Facebook photo caption line must include “2017 SDP Photo Comp” and name of chapter. Eg: “2017 SDP Photo Comp, Pi Theta”
3) Eligible entries must show name of “Sigma Delta Pi” and the Society’s logo within the picture.
4) Competitive entries will reflect mission of Sigma Delta Pi in creative, original, entertaining and coherent ways.
5) Person who posts/submits the photo must be a member (not alumni members) of an active chapter of Sigma Delta Pi; chapter Facebook group pages may also submit the photo.
6) Maximum of two photo entries per chapter.
Winning entry along with 2nd and 3rd place distinctions will be announced by April 15, 2017.
Sigma Delta Pi is pleased to announce its graduate research grant program for the summer of 2017 and the 2017-18 academic year. An eligible graduate student who is an active member of Sigma Delta Pi may apply for one grant of up to $2000 to support travel ABROAD to Spain or Spanish America for the sole purpose of research related to Hispanic Studies. No more than four total grants may be awarded in 2017 based upon the quality and depth of the pool of applications. March 1, 2017 submission deadline.
Click here for further details and downloadable application.
National Charter Month commemorates Sigma Delta Pi’s founding on November 14, 1919 at the University of California, Berkeley by graduate student Ruth Barnes. Please plan now to highlight your chapter and its activities during the month of November. This is also a wonderful opportunity to locate and display your chapter’s charter!
Why not plan an initiation ceremony to celebrate Sigma Delta Pi’s National Charter Month in November?!?! An induction of new members can be held any time of year, and many chapters hold multiple initiations annually (once received, all orders are processed within 24 hours).
And don’t forget our 4th annual Facebook Birthday Cake Picture Competition to celebrate National Charter Month and Sigma Delta Pi’s 97th birthday.
1) During the month of November, chapters are invited to post a picture of their unique Sigma Delta Pi b-day cakes at our FB page: www.facebook.com/sigmadeltapi.
2) The pictured cake must include a reference, etched in icing on the cake, to Sigma Delta Pi’s 97th b-day.
3) It must be an actual cake that displays the Sigma Delta Pi logo.
4) for the accompanying “description,” include the name of the originating chapter and institution. For example: “Eta Upsilon, Illinois State University.”
The winning picture will be featured during the entire month of December at Sigma Delta Pi’s FB page, and the winning chapter will receive an award certificate. Cakes will be judged on artistic merit and originality. The winning chapter will receive a $100 credit that may be applied to future orders placed with the national office.
In July 2016, Sigma Delta Pi formalized a new partnership with the Gabriela Mistral Foundation, which will provide all future winners of the Gabriela Mistral Award a copy of the Foundation’s book From Chile to the World–70 Years of Gabriela Mistral’s Nobel Prize.
Sigma Delta Pi Chapters at Southern Utah University and Loyola University New Orleans were both awarded Chapter Project Grants for endeavors planned for fall 2016. Chapter Phi Iota at Southern Utah will undertake a Day of the Dead celebration on November 2, 2016, and Chapter Mu Kappa of Loyola U New Orleans will execute a Hispanic Cultural Celebration and related fund raiser on October 14, 2016.
Each spring the 610+ chapters of Sigma Delta Pi are invited to submit applications for funding to support special chapter projects that reflect the mission of the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society. Proposals are evaluated over the summer, and applicants are notified prior to the start of the fall term. Click here for more information on the Chapter Project Grant program.
Professor Comfort Pratt of Texas Tech University was granted the inaugural Germán D. Carrillo Award for her outstanding service to the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society during the 2013-16 triennium.
The Sigma Delta Pi chapters of the University of North Carolina Pembroke and Wittenburg University have been named co-recipients of the Phoenix Award for extraordinary and exemplary activity as compared to the previous year(s).
The following chapters of Sigma Delta Pi were bestowed the Octavio Paz Award in 2016 for maintaining “Honor Chapter” status for the 2013-16 triennium:
College of Charleston
Illinois State University
Montclair State University
Texas Tech University
Truman State University
University of Northern Colorado