Professor Comfort Pratt of Texas Tech University was granted the inaugural Germán D. Carrillo Award for her outstanding service to the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society during the 2013-16 triennium.
Dr. Valentín Soto, Faculty Adviser of the Delta Chi Chapter of Sigma Delta Pi at Montclair State University, was named the 2016 recipient of the José Martel Award, which is granted once every three years to the most outstanding chapter adviser.
Professor Angela Bailey de las Heras, Faculty Adviser of the Eta Upsilon Chapter of Sigma Delta Pi at Illinois State University, has been named the 2016 recipient of the Minaya Álvar-Fáñez Award for exemplary initiative in encouraging and assisting
with chapter activities.
On May 6, 2016, Dr. César Ferreira of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee was inducted into Sigma Delta Pi’s Order of the Discoverers, one of the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society’s highest honors.
Dr. César Ferreira, center, after being initiated into the Order of the Discoverers.
Sigma Delta Pi chapter delegates (advisers, student officers and members), Executive Council Members and Honorary Presidents are cordially invited to join us for the following national events in 2016:
- Sigma Delta Pi’s 14th annual Informative Session at the 69thKentucky Foreign Language Conference (April 14-16, 2016). The Informative Session will take place Friday afternoon, April 15 (time and location TBA) at the University of Kentucky. Later that evening (April 15) at 6:30pm, Sigma Delta Pi will host a reception for our attendees and special guests in the Mason-Headley room at the Campbell House (1375 S. Broadway Rd.) in Lexington, KY. Deadline for abstract submissions to the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference is November 16, 2015. Deadline for early conference registration (required of all attendees, even if you are not presenting): TBA.
- Sigma Delta Pi will host its Triennial Convention at the AATSP’s Annual Conference in Miami, Florida (July 8-11, 2016) at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel, followed by a reception for all our guests. In addition, Sigma Delta Pi will host another “Informative Session” (similar to the Kentucky venue) and a “Student Best Practices” session to highlight the impressive chapter activities of our student members. Deadline for submission proposals for the AATSP Conference is November 15, 2015. Deadline for early conference registration (required of all attendees, even if you are not presenting): TBA.
Our National President, Dr. Lucy F. Lee of Truman State University, and I look forward to seeing you!
A special thanks to Vista Higher Learning for sponsoring Sigma Delta Pi’s receptions.
Unfortunately, funding for attendance to these events is not available through Sigma Delta Pi, but please consult with your local institution (home academic department, department chair, dean) for possible travel support.
Please note upcoming fall 2015 deadlines for Sigma Delta Pi:
November 2, 2015
Student submissions for 4th Annual Sigma Delta Pi “Best Practices Session.” Details at https://sdpnational.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/call-for-student-papers-4th-annual-sigma-delta-pi-best-practices-session-2016/
November 2015 (National Charter Month)
Submissions for 3rd Annual Facebook B-Day Cake Photo Competition. Details at https://sdpnational.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/november-is-sigma-delta-pi-national-charter-month-3rd-annual-facebook-birthday-cake-picture-competition/
December 1, 2015
Entries for annual Frida Kahlo Award for outstanding chapter website. Details at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.Premio.Frida.Kahlo.html
December 21, 2015
Submissions for the spring 2016 online issue of Entre Nosotros. Submission Guidelines at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/EN.Guidelines.for.EN.html
And don’t forget spring 2016 deadlines for Sigma Delta Pi:
February 1, 2016
Applications for Graduate Research Grants. Application form and related details at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.Research.grants.html
Applications for Undergraduate Study Abroad Awards. Application form and related details at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.Undergraduate.Study.Abroad.Awards.html
May 1, 2016
Nominations for José Martel Award for Outstanding Chapter Adviser. Details at https://sdpnational.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/call-for-nominations-sigma-delta-pis-jose-martel-award/
Nominations for Ana María Matute Award for outstanding graduate student member. Nomination form and related details at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.Premio.Ana.Maria.Matute.html
Applications for Chapter Project Grants. Application form and related details at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.Chapter.project.grants.html
Nominations for the Orden de los Descubridores. Details at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.La.Orden.de.los.Descubridores.html
Nominations for the Orden de Don Quijote. Details at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.La.Orden.de.Don.Quijote.html
Orders for membership pins and certificates. Downloadable order form at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/CR.Forms.html
Sigma Delta Pi merchandise:
For the medallion and repostero, see http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/CR.Chapter.Resources.html
For other paraphenalia, to include ceremony kits, apparel, honor cords and stoles: http://honorgrads.com/categories.php?category=Sigma-Delta-Pi
For regular announcements and news, visit:
National Announcements and News blog: https://sdpnational.wordpress.com/
National Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sigmadeltapi
Deadlines for other opportunities and awards to include our undergraduate study abroad awards and Facebook picture contest will be forthcoming later this fall.
The deadline for the submission of chapter “reseñas” for possible inclusion in the spring 2016 issue of Entre Nosotros is December 21, 2015; see www.sigmadeltapi.org/EN.Guidelines.for.EN.html for submission requirements.
Remember that information submitted with the annual reports is not considered for inclusion in Entre Nosotros. Annual reports and Entre Nosotros are separate venues.
Whenever you make online purchases at Amazon, remember you can help benefit Sigma Delta Pi’s various national programs via the following link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/01-0319131
Once every three years, at its national triennial convention, Sigma Delta Pi honors one of our most outstanding chapter advisers with a cash award and a beautiful plaque. Click here for a list of past recipients. The next José Martel Award will be presented in 2016 at Sigma Delta Pi’s Triennial Convention in Miami, FL, in conjunction with the AATSP’s 98th annual conference at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel, July 8-11.
A nominee for this award must have served at one college or university as a successful chapter adviser for five consecutive years with at least one initiation each year, be currently serving as chapter adviser, and be nominated by a chapter or by a member of the Executive Council. The nomination must document the accomplishments of the adviser in connection with the chapter, as well as the adviser’s other academic achievements. Supporting letters/e-mails from the nominee’s dean and another high college official must accompany the nomination. It is suggested that the activities of the chapter during the past five years (including the 2015-16 academic year) be enumerated and described, and that a résumé detailing the nominee’s professional activities be included. For the 2016 award, the complete nomination packet must be sent by May 1, 2016 via e-mail to the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
The Premio José Martel commemorates the service of Dr. José Martel, who died August 22, 1979, at the age of 96, after serving Sigma Delta Pi loyally and unselfishly for over half a century in many capacities: chapter adviser, vice president, honorary president, faithful counselor, orator on national occasions, and polished author in the rewriting of parts of our ritual and in the preparation of award certificates. The inaugural José Martel Award was presented to Dr. Lucía D. Bonilla of Hunter College, CUNY in December 1971 at the triennial convention in New York.
PLEASE SAVE THE FOLLOWING FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
When planning for your upcoming chapter activities and induction ceremonies for the fall 2015 term, please note:
1) Chapter Handbook: For ideas regarding chapter activities, procedures, etc, all chapters advisers and student officers are encouraged to review this useful reference at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/Pubs/SigmaDeltaPiChapterHandbook3rdEdition.pdf (3rd edition). Remember that chapter-initiated regional projects should be coordinated closely with neighboring active chapters to ensure there are no conflicts of interest with other chapters’ activities. And NO chapter projects may be executed at the national level without authorization of Sigma Delta Pi’s national office.
2) Chapters without an induction of new members within the past three years must complete the Chapter Reactivation Petition to resume chapter activities and before planning future initiation ceremonies: http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/Pubs/SDPreactivationpetition.doc
3) PLEASE DOWNLOAD a current order form, which is always found at http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/CR.Forms.html (all chapters MUST pay national dues for new initiates, both active…
View original post 490 more words