The Sigma Delta Pi chapters of the University of North Carolina Pembroke and Wittenburg University have been named co-recipients of the Phoenix Award for extraordinary and exemplary activity as compared to the previous year(s).
The following chapters of Sigma Delta Pi were bestowed the Octavio Paz Award in 2016 for maintaining “Honor Chapter” status for the 2013-16 triennium:
College of Charleston
Illinois State University
Montclair State University
Texas Tech University
Truman State University
University of Northern Colorado
During its Triennial Convention in Miami, Florida on July 8, 2016, the National Executive Committee of Sigma Delta Pi named the Capítulos de Honor y Mérito for the 2015-16 academic year:
Arkansas State U
Arkansas Tech U
College of Charleston
Florida Atlantic U
Georgia College & State U
Illinois State U
Montclair State U
Texas Tech U
Truman State U
U of Northern Colorado
U of Virginia
West Virginia U
The Executive Committee (EC) of the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society is proud to announce the appointment of its inaugural Board of Student Advisers (BSA):
Amanda Hudinsky, University of Minnesota-Morris
Monica Mancilla, University of New Mexico
Cora Spillman, Assumption College
Chase Tiffany, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Consuelo Torres, Austin Peay State University
Serving a 2-year term that begins on May 15, 2016, the members of Sigma Delta Pi’s BSA will offer feedback to the EC on select issues related to the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society. Such consultations between the EC and the BSA may include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying strategic initiatives to bolster membership.
- Providing a student perspective on proposed initiatives of the Executive Committee.
- Identifying areas of potential improvement with Sigma Delta Pi’s various programs.
- Discussing select issues and concerns at both the national (EC) and local (chapter) levels.
Congratulations to our inaugural appointees!
2016 marks the 50th anniversary of Sigma Delta Pi’s membership to the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS), the only certifying agency in the U.S. for collegiate honor societies at 4-year institutions. There are currently 65 members of the ACHS, honor societies whose membership denotes their certification. Sigma Delta Pi is very proud of this exclusive membership.
To commemorate this important half-century landmark, Sigma Delta Pi’s National Executive Committee is pleased to launch its inaugural Board of Student Advisers (BSA) that will serve to provide additional leadership opportunities to our student members, but at the national level. Click here for the BSA charter containing additional details.
Active student members of Sigma Delta Pi who are interested in becoming founding members of our Board of Student Advisers should submit via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) to the Executive Director the following information by Friday, April 15, 2016:
- Statement of interest.
- CV (résumé).
Student members (graduate and undergraduate) who graduate this spring of 2016 are still eligible to apply. The founding BSA members will be announced in May.
Texas Tech University’s Alpha Phi Chapter of Sigma Delta Pi was chosen as this year’s recipient of the Frida Kahlo Award, granted annually to a chapter for its outstanding website. For a list of all past awardees, please visit http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SAR.Premio.Frida.Kahlo.html.
Any/every active chapter may nominate one (1) outstanding student per year for El Premio Gabriela Mistral. The awardee, who may be either a graduate or undergraduate student, must be an active member of Sigma Delta Pi, as defined in Article XV of the National By-laws. Nominations, together with supporting documentation, including several letters of recommendation and a current transcript, should be e-mailed to the Executive Director. Winners will be given a handsome certificate (only one awardee per chapter per year permitted). Nominations accepted year round.
Sigma Delta Pi is pleased to announce its 5th Annual Facebook Photo Contest for the 2015-16 academic year.
Rules for submissions:
1) Photos must be posted at www.facebook.com/sigmadeltapi by April 1, 2016. Photos submitted any other way will NOT be considered.
2) Facebook photo caption line must include “2016 SDP Photo Comp” and name of chapter. Eg: “2016 SDP Photo Comp, Pi Theta”
3) Eligible entries must show name of “Sigma Delta Pi” and the Society’s logo within the picture.
4) Competitive entries will reflect mission of Sigma Delta Pi in creative, original, entertaining and coherent ways.
5) Person who posts/submits the photo must be a member (not alumni members) of an active chapter of Sigma Delta Pi; chapter Facebook group pages may also submit the photo.
6) Maximum of two photo entries per chapter.
Winning entry along with 2nd and 3rd place distinctions will be announced in May 2016.
Sigma Delta Pi chapter delegates (advisers, student officers and members), Executive Council Members and Honorary Presidents are cordially invited to join us for the following national events in 2016:
- Sigma Delta Pi’s 14th annual Informative Session at the 69thKentucky Foreign Language Conference (April 14-16, 2016). The Informative Session will take place Friday afternoon, April 15 (time and location TBA) at the University of Kentucky. Later that evening (April 15) at 6:30pm, Sigma Delta Pi will host a reception for our attendees and special guests in the Mason-Headley room at the Campbell House (1375 S. Broadway Rd.) in Lexington, KY. Deadline for abstract submissions to the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference is November 16, 2015. Deadline for early conference registration (required of all attendees, even if you are not presenting): TBA.
- Sigma Delta Pi will host its Triennial Convention at the AATSP’s Annual Conference in Miami, Florida (July 8-11, 2016) at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel, followed by a reception for all our guests. In addition, Sigma Delta Pi will host another “Informative Session” (similar to the Kentucky venue) and a “Student Best Practices” session to highlight the impressive chapter activities of our student members. Deadline for submission proposals for the AATSP Conference is November 15, 2015. Deadline for early conference registration (required of all attendees, even if you are not presenting): TBA.
Our National President, Dr. Lucy F. Lee of Truman State University, and I look forward to seeing you!
A special thanks to Vista Higher Learning for sponsoring Sigma Delta Pi’s receptions.
Unfortunately, funding for attendance to these events is not available through Sigma Delta Pi, but please consult with your local institution (home academic department, department chair, dean) for possible travel support.